North Korea has 100 N-weapons aimed at US, propagandist claims
Sun May 4, 1:24 AM ET
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2& ... &printer=1
SYDNEY (AFP) - North Korea (news - web sites) has at least 100 nuclear missiles aimed at the United States and will use them if new economic sanctions are imposed against it, a propagandist for the Stalinist state claimed.
AFP Photo
Kim Myong Chol, who styles himself executive director of the Centre for Korea-American Peace, told Australia's Channel Nine network Sunday: "It's quite obvious North Korea may have minimum 100 nuclear warheads, maximum 300.
"They all lock onto American cities."
Kim, who rejoices in the title "unofficial spokesman for North Korea", was speaking in an interview recorded overseas, although it was unclear where.
He claimed the nuclear technology used to produce the missiles had been tested in Pakistan and the weapons had been made before Pyongyang's non-proliferation agreement with the adminstration of former US president Bill Clinton (news - web sites) in 1994. They did not therefore breach international agreements, he maintained.
Told that Pakistan had denied the claim it was implicated -- which he has made previously -- he said: "Of course they must deny that."
Kim, who said he was flattered that the Western media labelled him unofficial spokesman for the Pyongyang regime, was asked if North Korea intended to use the weapons if the United States did not give in to its diplomatic and economic deamands.
"If the US attacks North Korea, North Korea will definitely use those nuclear weapons against the US mainland," he replied.
Would it also use them if an economic embargo was imposed?
"Yes, definitely," he said. "North Korea will use those nuclear weapons against the US mainland if America imposes additional economic sanctions on North Korea."
He also rejected a charge by Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer last week that an official of North Korea's ruling political party was aboard a North Korean ship accused of smuggling heroin to Australia.
The freighter, Pong Su, was boarded and seized by Australian special forces troops on April 20 after a chase that began when it allegedly unloaded the drugs off southeastern Australia five days earlier.
Some 26 North Korean crew remain in custody charged with helping to import 50 kilograms (110 pounds) of pure heroin into Australia.
"I'm afraid the Australian Foreign Minister is entirely wrong," Kim said.